Becoming a Security Guard
Before you can become a security guard you must ensure you have a security license. To be eligible for a license you must:
1) Be 18 years of age or older
2) Be eligible to work in Canada
3) Have a clean criminal record.
Before you apply for your license you must have taken and passed the security guard or private investigator basic training course/test.
If you do not have your license, you may apply for it by mail or online through Service Ontario. If you apply online, you will be able to check the status of your application within two business days. Online applicants will be able to access a printable digital license as soon as their application is approved. The printed license can be used as proof of licensing until you receive your license card by mail.
Please note that Service Ontario does not accept applications for security guard or private investigator licenses at its service counters. Correctly completing this application can take up to 30 business days to be processed. Ensure you keep your license updated and not to let it expire if you plan on working in the industry.
- Security guards and private investigators must carry a valid license at all times while on duty.
- Security guards must identify themselves and show the front of their license to anyone who asks to see it. This includes employers, police, and members of the public.
- Security guards and private investigators are responsible for adhering to the Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005and its regulations, including the Code of Conduct regulation. Failure to comply can lead to charges.